Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Quest for health

Vegetables in a wicker basket
Farm animal, a rooster
How are we going to get healthy?
I have been researching the ways to a optimal health. And the answer lays in the past not the future of food. We have changed food so much that our great grand parents would not recognize some of the foods that are in the market today.  Why does food have to be so processed. I have been on this journey for the last few years. First, it was the eye-opening view of farms in America. 
WOW, my thoughts of a field with animals was a delusion. I then cut back on meat intake and bought only Grass fed beef/free range chicken/eggs. Boy this diet really did not change how my family ate. Then I realized when we ate out we were eating #$%$. 
(I also read Food, Inc, and several other eye-opening books)
Dairy cows on farm
 Then it was when I read The China Study.  I then started to think about nutrition. The data showed that it was better to eat a mostly vegan diet with up to 10% of calories can be meat.
So, my quest began.
Tractor and farm in Germany
I stumbled upon Eat to Live. This diet seemed to be the answer to my many questions. 
I use the diet as a Health Guideline.
So we eat out and that is our only time when we are off the diet. I hold a strong policy that this house will only serve Healthy food.  We use the 10% as meals out of the house.

My take on the diet:
Basket of fresh strawberries
  • eat at least 1 pound raw and 1 pound cooked veggies
  • eat at least 4 fruit
  • eat no more that 1 cup starch (veggies or grain)
  • eat 1 T flax seed a day
  • eat 2 oz avocado
  • eat 2 oz raw nuts
  • eat no more that 2 T dried fruit a day
  • eat at least 1 cup beans/tofu/tempeh a day
So Am I hungry? NO, I eat more now than before. And it feels good to have so much food to choose.





No comments:

Post a Comment